PDF this page

Texas Residency

In order to be classified as a Texas resident for tuition purposes, a student must be able to show that they have made Texas their home for at least the most recent 12 months. Most persons classified as Texas residents are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., but some visa holders and undocumented residents may be eligible for Texas residency. Residency in the state must be permanent and not just for educational reasons.

The Office of Admissions and Records reserves the right to request documentation to prove Texas residency. See our Residency Documentation page for a list of items that may be used to substantiate Texas residency.

Some non-citizens may be eligible for Texas residency. These include some Texas high school graduates and GED earners, persons with an approved application for permanent residency, and non-citizens with certain types of visas.

Out-of-District Residency

Students classified as Texas residents are entitled to out-of-district tuition rates, unless they live in the college’s tax district (see below).

In-District Residency

In-state residents of the Lee College tax district qualify for in-district tuition. Geographically, the tax district is found in those portions of Harris and Chambers counties served by the Goose Creek Consolidated Independent School District. Persons who live in this district, whether they own and/or lease property, are eligible. See Residency Documentation page for a list of items that may be used to substantiate In-District Residency. To see if your residence is in the Lee College taxing district, visit the Harris or Chambers County Appraisal District web sites and perform a property search.

Ad Valorem

For Tax District Property Owners Residing Elsewhere in Texas

Texas residents who own property in the tax district, but live in Texas outside the district, can qualify for reduction of tuition to in-district rates. The property owner will be classified as out-of-district, but upon receipt of a paid tax bill for the prior year, tuition will be recalculated at the in-district rate. Dependents of property owner may also qualify. Status must be renewed annually. Inquire at the Business Office for more details.

Service Area

Community colleges in Texas are assigned “service area” by the state legislature. The intent is to give each community college district a “territory” it is to serve. The service area of Lee College extends from extreme eastern Harris County to most of Chambers County, and much of lower Liberty County. The cities of Baytown, Highlands Mont Belvieu, Crosby, Huffman, Anahuac, Dayton, Liberty, Daisetta, Hardin, and Winnie are included in the Lee College service area.


U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and approved foreign nationals who moved to Texas less than 12 months prior to the term of enrollment, and who are taking steps to make Texas their permanent home, are classified as nonresidents for tuition purposes. These persons can be reclassified as Texas residents when they can prove they have resided permanently in Texas for 12 months. Foreign nationals not permitted to establish domicile or residence in Texas will be charged the nonresident rate indefinitely.

Residency Documentation

Items Typically Accepted for In-District Residency Proof

  • Current Texas Driver’s License or Texas ID
  • Current Gas, Water, or Electricity Bill
  • Current Voter Registration Card
  • Current Commercial Lease
  • Current Car Insurance Documentation

For your convenience, simply take a picture of your Texas Driver’s License or Texas ID and email it to Other documents should be delivered to the Admissions Office in person. Email with any questions you may have.

Items Typically Accepted for Texas Residency Proof

  • Pay Stubs or Employer Statements of Dates of Employment
  • Bank Statements
  • Title of Residential Property
  • Vehicle Registration

NOTE: Documents must indicate that you have resided in Texas for at least one year. For example, you can provide pay stubs for a 12-month period, up to the current date, that indicate you have been employed in Texas for the prior 12-month period. Email with any questions you may have.